Wednesday, August 15, 2007

[Fiona] The Choosing of the Stone

Have any of you ever thought about what goes into choosing a stone? By this I mean a headstone for a grave. It is not as easy as it sounds. Color, weight, quarry, finish, lot size, all of these things have to be taken into account along with what will be sand blasted onto it besides the name(s) of the deceased.

This past weekend my father, my mom's sister and I went to Whitinsville to stone shop. My dad made the final selection through tear soaked eyes. It is a lovely stone from a Canadian quarry. It is sort of rose colored with the words together forever across the front with roses on either side of the wording. There is also a cross adorned with rosary beads (the 'rents are Catholic). The ovearall effect is quite beautiful.



I don't know why but going to my hometown to buy a headstone and check out my parents plot really made me sad. I think the reality of the end of life(for everyone I know and love) was just too much for my poor soul to bear. It's funny how I never realized just how much I love the people in my life.

No comments: