Sunday, August 9, 2009

[Fiona] The Train Man

The awe factor disappears with youth. That's what really separates children from adults. Perhaps it is just a casualty of growing up and seeing beyond the magic. I for one miss that sparkle of excitement over a new discovery. My dad and I struggle with his dementia. Somehow we manage. We laugh, we argue, we cry and sometimes together we discover that deep in our souls we still have the ability to be awed.

Recently one Sunday after church dad and I made a discovery. On the corner of a little side street down a short distance from our church we found the train man. The look on my dad's face, as he realized that the movement he'd caught was not an animal but an actual miniature railroad in fine working condition, was amazing. I stopped the car, put down the passenger window and told the man operating the train how cool dad and I thought his setup was. The train man said we should stop sometime and have a look.


Herb

I usually have my camera with me when I take dad out just because it helps keep life interesting. I want to make as many memories as I can with my dad before the curtain of dementia comes completely down and I lose him to it. As luck would have it I did not have my camera that day so dad and I drove away. I was a little disappointed and pretty sure that we would never be lucky like that anytime soon.

Most Saturdays I take dad out. We do everyday chores and goofy things and if time allows we go to mass. Much was our mission yesterday. I always make a list of every thing that needs to be done for both households; mine and dads. If I didn't mayhem would ensue. I am only one person and it is a near impossible task to remember everything for everybody and let's not forget about all the pets. So with list in hand and my camera I drove to dads to start our Saturday adventure. First stop after getting dad? The gas satation followed by DD and then off to the bank and the pharmacy. Like most people I am a creature of routine. I drive the same streets to get to the same markets and stores I go to.

Dad made a remark about how neat it would be if the train man was outside. So I changed my routine which paid off handsomely. Not only was the train man outside but he was working on his passion. I parked the car. I approached the chainlink fence surrounding his yard and asked him if it was ok if I took some photos. Happily he agreed.










There are three separate sets of tracks and trains. The trains go into the basement on bad weather days. The tracks are stainless steel so they stay put rain and/or shine. Herb,the train man,told me it has taken him nearly five years to get his front yard turned into a tiny working railyard. It has bulidings, people, vehicles and animals. The attention to detail is mind-blowing. Dad and I chatted with Herb for a good ten minutes and only left because chores needed to be done. Herb I thank you. You gave my dad something there are no words for, a new memory. He doesn't get many of those anymore. My dad talked about the train man all day.





No comments: