Wednesday, March 18, 2009

[Fiona] OMG Facebook

Okay so I am a weenie. I should know better. The true definiton of stupid...doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different outcome when there is only one solution. I could not get out of high school fast enough. Small town girl, small time world. I wanted bigger and better. I wanted to be accepted for who I knew I was. Kids can be so unkind. Put you in a box and glue the lid down.

What the hell was I thinking when I joined Facebook. On the surface it seemed harmless. A person sends out a few be my friend requests to relatives and some kids from back in the day who "got" you. The next thing you know people you don't remember find you. Or better yet the ones who still want to step on your neck find you,try to throw you back in the box and glue the lid back on.

It took me almost all of my adult days to come into myself. To like me. I will never know why I didn't measure up in their eyes. Why I wasn't good enough for them. For real it doesn't even matter. In spite of their best efforts I survived. They don't even know what they missed.

Surprise! I am not the same girl from high school and then again in some ways yes, I am the same girl. Today I was pleasantly rewarded with the company of someone from my past. Someone who "got me" even back then. We reconnected through the courtesy of Facebook and made plans to meet for coffee and chat and catch up. I will wholeheartedly admit I was beyond nervous. Twenty plus years has a way of changing people. I know I have changed.

We met at Friendly's in the town we grew up in. I felt like that gunslinger you see in bad westerns walking into a saloon. I just wasn't sure what to expect. What was I going to say. I don't remember all the things we talked about. I can tell you we laughed and almost cried and I know from my side of the table I saw that same friend from days gone by who still "gets" me. Sometimes it is difficult to articulate to someone what they mean to you or how they have affected your life. I just want to say thank you for being the great person you have always been.

1 comment:

CarrieMarie said...

Remember - unlike HS, you can choose to ignore the glue kids on FB! : ) (They always SAID you could ignore the mean kids, but seriously?)

I'm glad you got to hang out w/ a true friend, even after many years. It's nice to know that some ppl will always "get" you!